An average of seven Britons a week are travelling to Syria and Iraq along a wide stretch on the Turkish border which has come to be known as the ‘Gateway to Jihad.’ In total, 2,000 British Muslims have travelled this route to fight in the jihad, Khalid Mahmood, MP for Perry Barr, has warned.
Concern is increasing that when these British citizens return home they could unleash terror on UK streets.
Once in the Middle East, these British citizens have been joining the brutal terrorist group ISIS (also known as IS and ISIL), a successor group to Al-Qaeda with strong roots in the Muslim Brotherhood. Al-Qaeda has recently distanced itself from ISIS because of its unimaginable brutality, which the BBC reported includes atrocities such as “targeted killings, forced conversions, slavery, sexual abuse, and the besieging of entire communities.”
Below are only some of the high profile cases of jihadists with links to Britain:
- A British student who decided to join the Jihad in Iraq has been calling on Muslims to join the Golden Era of Jihad.
- Terrorists with British accents have been sending recorded threats to the West.
- Khadijah Dare, a British girl from Lewisham, south London, has vowed to be the first woman to kill Westerners. The twenty-two year old was born a non-Muslim but was radicalised online before moving to Syria. Hours after the brutal beheading of American journalist James Foley, Dare gloated about the murder online. She has also posted pictures of her four-year-old son with an AK-47 rifle and has threatened to cut off heads.
- One former Morrisons security guard travelled to Syria where he gave an interview with the BBC, boasting about fighting with ISIS. He has threatened to “bomb the UK” and laughed about the beheading of soldier during his interview.
- It was reported that Sally Jones, a former female rock band member from Chatham, decided to join the Jihad. She has threatened to behead Christians by herself with a blunt knife. (“You Christians all need beheading with a nice blunt knife and stuck on the railings at raqqa … Come here I’ll do it for you!”)
- British women who joined ISIS have been operating a Sharia police force to punish those deemed to be “unIslamic.”
- Citizens of Britain have also been involved in funding the would-be Islamic state in Iraq and Syria.
- Britain has offered as safe haven to Libya’s highest spiritual leader, the grand mufti Sheikh Sadik Al-Ghariani, who helped to orchestrate the Islamist takeover of Tripoli from his home in the UK.
THE METHODS AND GOALS OF ISIS
Once in Iraq and Syria, these British-born jihadists are trying to help ISIS achieve its goal, which is to eliminate all borders in the Middle East and establish a Caliphate under the monarchy of the terrorist Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, a man wanted for $10 million by the Americans.
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and his thugs have exploited grievances felt by the Sunni community following their marginalization in the government America helped to establish under the Shia triumphalism of Nouri al-Maliki. After breaking off of Al-Qaeda, the group has gone on to control much of eastern and northern Syria and western and northern Iraq.
It is not simply the lawful governments of Iraq and Syria that have become the target of ISIS; they have also been exterminating the civilian populations on an unimaginable scale. Their regime of ethnic cleansing is slowly and systematically exterminating some of the world’s oldest Christian communities. ISIS has also been targeting Shia Muslims and all Middle East populations not associated with their particularly fanatical version of Islam.
When ISIS forces conquer an area they immediately impose Sharia law, including a ban on smoking, football and music. Women are forced to be completely veiled in black from head to toe and forbidden from leaving their house without a male guardian. ISIS thugs even routinely raid schools to punish girls who are not fully veiled in black. The less fortunate women are sold into sexual slavery.
ISIS has issued ultimatums demanding that all Christians convert to Islam, pay the jizya tax required of non-Muslims, or die. Last month we reported on a typical case of what happened when a Christian father could not afford this tax: three ISIS soldiers barged into his house and proceeded to rape his wife and daughter in front of him. The husband and father was so distraught that he later killed himself.
More recently, there have been reports that the holocaust against Christians has included youths being crucified and beheaded and buried alive and numerous other atrocities for no reason other than the fact that these children are Christians.
ABC news reported that in towns controlled by the group, “Friday is the day for public beheadings and amputations for people who violate its strict Islamic rule, and whippings for women if their clothing offends ISIS’ sense of propriety.”
The UN reported that “Civilians, including children, are urged to watch. Bodies of those killed are placed on display for several days, terrorizing the local population”
BEHIND THE BRITISH JIHAD
It is hard to imagine why so many hundreds of British men and women are eager to travel to the Middle East to join in the barbarism and carnage perpetuated by ISIS. While the motivations behind the British wing of jihad are complex and multifaceted, there are a number of contributing factors we have identified over the years which helped to contextualize the growth of radical Islam in the UK.
One factor is that Britain’s native Muslim population has recently seen huge expansion due to high birth rate and conversions to Islam. While the growing population of British Muslims are mostly peace-loving, nevertheless this growth does increase the pool of people that can be potentially radicalized. We saw this with startling clarity in 2013 when radical Islam made huge inroads into all aspects of British life.
Another factor contributing to home-grown terrorism is that the British government and media have long been involved in a jihad against free speech, as they seek to suppress all discussion of the link between Islam and terrorism. This has included banning talk show host Michael Savage from entering the UK because of his anti-Muslim views, and more recently the Government’s decision to prohibit Robert Spencer from entering the UK (Robert Spencer is the author of Stealth Jihad.)
By denying any link between terrorism and the teachings found in Islamic texts, and then using strong-arm tactics to suppress scholars who might suggest otherwise, the authorities in Britain have left themselves unable to adequately address the challenges posed by home-grown radicalism.
“Why does it make any difference whether or not what the Islamic State is doing is in accord with Islamic texts and teachings?” Robert Spencer asked. “Among other reasons, because it will help determine how much support the new caliphate will ultimately get from Muslims worldwide, and will serve as an indicator of how much we can expect to see the actions of the Islamic State replicated by other Muslims elsewhere.” Such questions are being ignored by our officials, who have become convinced that the basic problem is that the terrorists are mistaken about their own religion. Accordingly, our incredibly naive officials believe that the solution is to simply better educate the terrorists so they will realize that their terrorism was actually based on ignorance concerning the real teaching of their religion.
This atmosphere of denial has been fueled by Britain’s multiculturalism, and the strange alliance multiculturalism has wrought between modern liberalism and Islamic fascism. This is not purely academic: earlier this year we reported on how multiculturalism caused the British Government to hide the truth about Muslim grooming gangs and perpetuate a “conspiracy of silence” that left countless girls abused and damaged for life. (See the report from yesterday “UK: Prosecutor ‘branded a racist’ for prosecuting Muslim rape gang”). The same conspiracy of silence has left the UK Government unable to fully address the jihad springing up in our midst.
- The Islamisation of Britain (Part 1): a crisis in demographics
- The Islamisation of Britain (Part 2): retention and conversion
- The Islamisation of Britain (Part 3): Censorship and ‘Islamophobia’
- The Islamisation of Britain (Part 4): 2013 in Review
- Iraqi Christians valued, says Ambassador
- Iraq: Bishop’s call for action
- Islamic State: Hammond! Talk to Assad!
- How the West is Helping to Destroy Christianity in Syria
Find out how to join Christian Voice and stand up for the King of kings (clicking on the link below does not commit you to join)
Please note that persons wishing to comment on this story must enter a valid email address. Comments from persons leaving fictitious email addresses will be trashed.